
Four cases of rape in Haiti involving members of the departing Kenya-led Multinational Security Support mission, including one involving a 12-year-old girl, have been investigated and corroborated, a United Nations report says.
The U.N. said it received the reports of sexual exploitation and abuse involving personnel from the Kenya-led anti-gang force in Haiti last year, and they were referred to the commander of the mission for investigation and action.
“All the allegations were found to be substantiated by investigations conducted by the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights,” said the report on Special Measures for Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse.
The police-led anti-gang force has consisted mostly of cops from Kenya and is not specifically a U.N. mission, although it was authorized by the Security Council in 2023. The four allegations were listed in the report under “Non-United Nations force.”
The mission, now in the process of withdrawing from Haiti, deployed its first personnel to the Caribbean nation in June 2024. A one-page summary of the four cases did not provide many details on the allegations. The report lists four cases under the category of mission personnel, and the ages of the four female victims: 12, 16, 16 and 18 years old. Under the reports’ findings, all of the cases said: “Violation corroborated.”
All but one lists “pending” under action taken. In the case of the 12 year-old, the report says that an internal investigtion was conducted by the mission itself. No further details were provided.
The Miami Herald has reached out for comment to the mission’s force commander, Godfrey Otunge, spokesman Jack Mbaka and the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights but has received no response.
Stéphane Dujarric, the spokesman for Secretary-General António Guterres, said the U.N. has “flagged” the issue for follow-up with the new anti-gang force that officially began its deployment Wednesday and the force’s special representative, Jack Christofides.
READ MORE: ‘Unimaginable’: The toll on Haiti’s women and girls raped by violent gangs
In its report last week, the office of the high commissioner for human rights noted that it will be crucial, as the new force is deployed n Haiti, to put in place mechanisms to prevent, investigate, deal with and publicly report on potential human rights violations and abuses, including sexual exploitation.
“These safeguards and mechanisms will strengthen the effectiveness” of the new force’s operations, the report said.
The rape allegations involving the Kenya-led mission were first reported by AyiboPost, a Port-au-Prince based online news service.
The issue of sexual exploitation and abuse by members of foreign forces has long been a concern in Haiti, where reports of sexual abuse and exploitation dogged a U.N. peacekeeping force in Haiti before it concluded its mission in 2017. To address the problem, the U.N. publishes the nationalities of soldiers accused of sexually exploiting and abusing women and girls. There is also a trust fund to support victims.
LATEST POSTS
- 1
Best Pizza Beating: What's Your #1? - 2
Volkswagen Plant Could Pivot From Building Cars to Supporting Iron Dome Systems - 3
25 Most Beautiful Villages in France You Can Actually Visit - 4
Understanding Preschool Projects: An Extensive Aide - 5
The most effective method to Plan an Incineration Administration: A Bit by bit Guide.
Blue Origin's next space tourism flight will break new ground for people with disabilities
First foreign troop in new gang suppression force lands in Haiti to replace previous mission
Single women risk rape and exploitation in search for better life in Europe
Canada's Friendly Sunshine Coast City Is An Outdoor Playground Perfect For Hiking And Paddling
NASA counts down for first crewed lunar mission in half a century
These men carry towers of birds through Mexico's streets. They say their tradition is dying out.
Cyclone causes blackout, flight chaos in Brazil's Sao Paulo
Tributes pour in for James Ransone, 'The Wire' actor who died at 46
Toyota Motor Europe to roll out smart EV charging through new partnerships













